Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Advertisers track Internet search history to target customer

Most Internet users feel certain anonymity as they browse online, yet websites can collect an extensive personal profile on you within mere seconds of your clicking on a site. Information such as your location, specific address, name, email address and even phone number is obtainable.

In addition, website owners can discover your specific shopping habits, what keywords you used to find their site and whether or not you were interested in advertisements on their pages. Web 2.0 programming allows site owners to acquire most of this information through IP addresses, Web browser cookies and tiny image files called Web beacons or Web bugs.

There are Companies however, that track your online activity and search patterns and sell your web 

experience to advertisers who in turn jostle for position in auctions take mere milliseconds.

About the Ads

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjsT-z16vR0&feature=player_embedded

1 comment:

  1. I am torn on how I feel about this topic. On one hand, I like that I don't have to receive all of those annoying ads that nobody really wants to see. But on the other hand, I don't really like that my search history can be sold so that I can be targeted better. Wonder if there is anyway to make your search history private?

    ReplyDelete